Little Millet Flakes :
Little Millet is suitable for people of all age groups. This is grown throughout India and is a traditional crop. It is from Proso Millet family but the grains of Little Millet are much smaller than Proso Millet. Little Millets, with their low carbohydrate content, slow digestibility and low water-soluble gum content have been attributed to improve glucose metabolism. The grains release sugar slowly in the blood and slow down glucose absorption. Dietary fiber and resistant starch in these millets exhibit hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects.
Little Millet is fibrous millet, next to Barnyard Millet. According to research, some varieties of Kodo Millet and Little Millet have been reported to have 37% to 38% of dietary fiber, which is the highest among the cereals. Fiber helps maintain sound digestion and satiates hunger quickly. Like Foxtail Millet and Barnyard Millet, Little Millet is also high in Iron. It is high in fat, comprising majorly of the healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA). The flavonoids present in the Little Millet act as antioxidants and play many roles in the body’s immune defence system. Although Little Millet is high in protein, it has a poor amino acid composition. Little Millet contains magnesium which can helps improve heart health. Vitamin B3 (niacin) in this millet helps lower cholesterol. It is also a good source of phosphorus which, helps with fat metabolism, body tissue repair and energy production. Flakes made from this millet are equally beneficial as Little Millet.
Benefits of Little Millet Flakes :
- Rich in Potent Antioxidants – Rich in tannins, flavonoids which helps against diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cataract, cancer, inflammation, Gastrointestinal problems and delay ageing too
- Help treat Diabetes – Known to be a low glycemic index food and also high in dietary fiber.
- Helps lower cholesterol – Rich in Magnesium which helps improve heart health. It is also rich in Niacin which helps lower cholesterol.
- Weight loss -Contains phosphorus which is great for weight loss, tissue repair and energy production after strenuous workout.
- Respiratory conditions – Known to treat respiratory condition like Asthma.
- Gluten free – It is an excellent alternative for those opting for gluten free diet.